Paris is a city with lot of things to see. In your first visit to Paris you might be confused as to what to see and what not to miss. Here are top ten places you must visit and not miss in your first Paris sightseeing tours.
- The Eiffel Tower: This one is the emblem of Paris and it will be a great loss if you miss this tower on your Paris city tours. It was built by Gustave Eiffel in 1889 for the Paris World Exhibition. Till 1930 it had the record of being the world’s highest building.
- Arc de Triomphe and Champs-Elysees: This one is another visible symbol of the power of France as a nation. It was built by the initiation of Napoleon Bonaparte in remembrance of the victory in the Battle of Austerlitz in 1806.
- Chateau de Versailles: It is the living symbol of the French monarchy. Though it was actually a hunting pavilion for King Louis XIII, his successor Louis XIV converted it into its present setup. There is a garden here which allures the visitors.
- Louvre Museum: It was the Royal Residence for 300 years but was turned into a museum in 1793. It stands as the symbol of the history of France. Classic works like Da Vinci’s Mona Lisa are displayed here.
- Notre-Dame- de-Paris: It was the main symbol of Paris even before the Eiffel Tower was built. This was the centre of Napoleon’s coronation and is also the centre of Victor Hugo’s novel Notre-Dame-de-Paris.
- Sacre-Coeur: This basilica was built with the hope of expiating the sins of the French People during the Franco-German war of 1870. It is the second most important religious monument after the Notre-dame cathedral. The inside is very beautiful, especially the painting of Christ.
- Pere Lachaise cemetery: This is the biggest and most renowned cemetery in Paris. Many of the celebrities are buried here including Edith Piaf and Oscar Wilde. You can pay your respects to these men here.
- The Grands Magasins: Though it is considered to be a monument, this is the first shopping centre in Europe. You can find the products of all major brands here. You can also have a beautiful view of Paris from the roof top.
- Buttes Chaumont Park: This is one of the biggest parks of Paris. The setting of the park is such that you get a beautiful view of the city from the park. The caves and cascades offer an ‘out of city’ experience.
- Jardin des Tuileries: It was Andre Le Notre, the famous royal gardener who designed this one. It is very pleasant with large alleys and fountains. Statues which are sculpted by famous sculptors like Rodin and Maillol are also found here.
Make sure that you visit these places in your Paris sightseeing tours.