Most people will be confused when it comes to touring Paris, especially on their maiden trip. If you look online for this, the number of suggestions and other to-do lists will be really confusing. Actually, there is no particular way to venture Paris. However, there are certain dos and don’ts that every tourist should follow when in the capital city of France. This will help you to make your Paris city tours even more entertaining and exciting.
- It is proper etiquette to address a person by saying ‘Bonjour’ when you meet him. This includes the locals, salespeople, receptionists, servers, etc. Better, if you add ‘Madame’ (Ma’am) or ‘Monsieur’ (Sir) with that, it would be regarded as a better token of respect.
- It is not necessary that you must be fluent in the French language in order to explore Paris city. In fact, it will not be a practical option as well. Nevertheless, learning a few basic words in French will help you a lot on your Paris city tours.
- The best way to learn about the French capital, as well as the culture and history of the city, is by interacting with the locals here. You are likely to get this opportunity at bars, picnic spots, public parks, etc. Using a couple of French words will be a good icebreaker or conversation starter in such cases.
- Parisians are usually silent and reserved by nature. In fact, you can notice that they keep this code of conduct at public places, such as in the metro trains, lines at bakery, restaurants, parks, etc. The main noise that you will get to hear at such places will be mainly of the tourist crowd.
Clothing and Packing
- When planning your Paris city tours, you may be really excited since you are going to the fashion capital. However, it is not a good idea to pack your stilettos or other high-end designer clothes alone for your Paris trip. Note that you are likely to walk most of the time when in the city. Hence, it is better to pack something comfortable such as casual shoes, layered clothes, etc. Still, you can pack a couple of designer wears and accessories for special occasions.
- Do good research about the weather in the city before you come here so that you can prepare well and pack your clothes accordingly. It is advisable to keep an umbrella and a raincoat handy even during the summer season since you cannot rule out the chances of surprise rain in the city.
- One of the best times to enjoy a budget-friendly Parisian trip is during the fall and the winter seasons. In case you schedule your Paris tours at this time, it is recommended to include a comfy scarf in your luggage. Even though it may sound clichéd to wear a scarf in Paris, this is one of the best ways to keep you warm. In fact, you can see hardly any Parisian who does not wear a scarf in the winter season.
Food and Beverages
- You are likely to spend a good amount of money on your food and beverages on your Paris city tours. One way to address this issue is by avoiding bottled water. Instead, you may ask for ‘carafe d’eau’ at a restaurant, which is asking for a water pitcher filled with tap water. You may ignore this if you are skeptic about the hygiene in the bistro or you need nothing but bubbly water.
- In order to enjoy the best culinary experience in Paris, go to a rooftop restaurant so that you can relish your delicious food enjoying a panoramic sight of the city. Try to spend at least an hour for this. If you are done with your food, you can click some images or note down the beautiful moments in your journal or notepad.
- Unlike most other cities, the case of water pollution in Paris is really low. No wonder, most of the Parisians tend to drink water at outdoor fountains. You can also refill your water bottle an outdoor water fountain in the city.
- The French capital is popular for their cuisine and almost every traveler will crave to relish authentic French dishes on their Paris city tours. The best and mouth-watering options that you can try here include croissants, baguettes, French wine, etc. Besides, try to skip McDonald’s or other restaurant options that you can enjoy back home as well. Rather, go for something new and totally Parisian.
- The restaurants or street food options near the popular tourist spots like the Eiffel Tower, Sacré-Cœur, Notre Dame, Louvre Museum, etc., will be really crowded and you will have to wait for hours in order to get your order. Plus, the price of food at such places will be really high. So, it is recommended to choose a eatery that is a bit farther from the top-rated Paris tourist destinations.